Articles from The Mediator

Legal Documents for College

When children turn 18, parents typically lose automatic access to their financial/medical/academic records. This can cause problems in an emergency, especially if a child lives away at school.

So professionals recommend having certain permissions in place for parents or other trusted adults, just in case. Following are a few of the most critical ones to consider.

A HIPAA release form allows doctors to share medical records and other important information with trusted others. This would be critical if your young adult is hospitalized or needs medical attention requiring your input.

A healthcare proxy allows a trusted adult, such as a parent, to make medical decisions if their young adult is unable to do so on their own and needs someone else to step in.

Young adults should also have a living will. This allows them to say in advance what kinds of lifesaving measures and pain management would be OK if the situation arises.

Finally, if you want to have access to your child’s school grades and financial aid/student discipline records (worth considering), your child will need to complete a FERPA waiver with their school.

Remember, the rules can vary from state to state and school to school, so it’s best to consult with an attorney or other professional first.

Recent Articles

Spending Limits Help Couples?

Couples that agree on spending limits have less conflict about money.

Tax Stuff: A New Use for 529s

Owners of overfunded 529 college savings accounts can roll some of the funds to a Roth IRA tax free.

Going Up: 401(k) Limits

IRS has raised contribution limits for most retirement plans for 2023.

Joint Finances = Happier Couples?

Joining finances creates a feeling of greater financial security for couples.